Monday 12 March 2007

Italian motorways and security!

Hi fellows,
during these days Italian channels are talking about saturday nights' slaughters. In Italy, in the last 5 years a number of young people died on the motorways, or roads in general, and that number is equal to a town of average size. Young people usually go back home from the disco and in the most of the cases they are drunk, or at least the level of alcohol in his blood is quite high according to the Italian laws. I think a beer or two are enough to be over the allowed limit (ACI says).
Those statistics are really amazing, but what I think is that Italian roads and motorways are very dangerous. Many people during the week, while going to work, have accidents due to bad maintenance of bad structure of the roads. Due to high speed too.
Every day, while going to work, I can see incredible things that make the motorway I use to drive very dangerous. So I want to show you one of that INCREDIBLE thing that, in this case, ANAS is able to do!



Look at the pictures (I 'm going to put better quality pictures. I was driving while taking those :P). What you can see at the left side are roadwork signals. Can you see where they are? If you look deeply you can see that the roadways are very small in width. Signals are put exactly on the roadway! Do you think that it can be safe, considering that cars go at 120 kmh!
So, I'm really hungry when I hear that the causes for the deaths is the high speed or alcohol. It is true in part.


I 'll show you also the incredible enormous holes ( my small car can fit the entire hole sometimes :/) in the asphalt after only 2 days raining. The asphalt is maybe made of "pastafrolla"?

Littizzetto yesterday said that : "a very simple and obvious solution for the saturday nights' slaughters is: building car not so potent, whose limit in speed is 70 kmh for example! Is it too trivial?" I don't think so! If young people uses potent vehicles, they can drive over the limit!

1 comment:

Davide Restivo said...

I think this is a huge problem for the current administration, but it doesn't seem to be interested.

The administration have no money to improve the motorways.

Security is only a way to tax people using autovelox. There is no real advertising campaign to improve security on the road.

In other countries someone is studying a way to improve Guard Rails security. In Italy Guard Rails are the main risk for rider :(