Saturday 25 November 2006

About Wien



Last September I went to Wien for a week. I spent a weekend there and I visited the sights of the city. My God, I 've never seen anything as special as Wien! The atmosphere is full of emotion, music is in the air, art is everywhere. Magnificent buildings remind us of the imperial courts and people who lived there.
Talking about music, something very special happened: while walking in the main street, the Kinderstrasse if I 'm not wrong, I saw a girl playing a piano..I mean a piano (not a grand piano) in the middle of the street!. She was an "artist of the street" and was playing Mozart, Schubert..and whatelse. She introduced each musical excerpt before playing it. She was so involved and inspired while playing that many people stopped nearby to listen to her. It looked like an opera concert, but for free, for common people...wow!
She was beautiful! I can't forget the atmosphere I experienced that evening.
I tried to take a picture of her with a N70 but the quality is not brilliant.. see for yourself.
During the weekend, I visited the "Haus Der Musik" ( http://www.hdm.at/ ), nice museum dedicated to music. A friend of mine suggested the museum to me and I can say that it was a good suggestion! It contains exhibitions about sounds and permits you to experience with the sounds using particular monitors and tools for generating them (sometimes noises as well). The museum also contains rooms that recreate houses where musicians as Mozart, Schubert lived. I didn't like these exhibits so much.
I visited a photograph gallery, it is the second that I 've ever seen in my life. I liked it very much ( http://www.worldpressphoto.nl ). The pictures can show you foreshortenings of life as nothing else can do. Some pictures show some aspects of life that everybody knows but nobody is conscious about them before seeing them...Some pictures were too strong, I couldn't look at it for more than half a second because they showed suffering people, among them were children, it is not easy to think about children as suffering people.
The picture that sobered me the most and left me amazed was the one that showed african people, on the north-west coast of Africa, a dark land with no lights, looking at the Spanish coasts (through the Gibraltar's strait) and what they could see was lighten towns and those towns seemed to be so close to them. It seemed that they could reach them just by swimming...this should make you humble.
Above all, I met new people, from Spain, Austria itself, Albany and .. Italy :). I ate sushi, running sushi, for the first time ;P.
I met an italian guy, he was visiting Wien alone as a turist. He was so happy when he realized that he was talking with an italian. I showed him some itineraries and I spent a few hours with him. I don't remember the name ;P but he was a good company.
When I got back in Italy I missed Wien for many days...maybe I 'll go back there again some day again!

No comments: